Moving homes can cause an incredible amount of stress and anxiety. Packing an entire house is usually extremely overwhelming, especially when things are in complete disarray. Moving can also be an excellent opportunity to reduce the amount of clutter in your house and also prevent yourself from bringing clutter into your new home.
Here are some tips and tricks for organizing your belongings while you pack!
- Put together a moving binder. Keep all of your moving documents, contracts, checklists, receipts, etc. organized in color-coded tabs. This makes it easy to access anything related to the move and keeps it all in one specified binder.
- Have a strategy planned out ahead of time for packing each room. Go through each room individually and set things aside for donations. When going to donate, get receipts for tax-deductible items and save them in the moving binder.
- Don’t wait till the last second to start packing. Time management is critical when moving. Have a calendar with dates and times set aside for you and your family to pack. It’s vital that everyone works together and contributes to the move.
- Color coding your boxes with labels for each designated room. This will make it easier when packing and unpacking moving vans. If the boxes are grouped together in color going on the moving van, it will make it easier when unloading and bringing them into the correct room in your new house.
- Keep packing tools in the same spot. It can be easy to misplace packing tape and sharpies while moving, so, to prevent from having to take time to look for misplaced tools, keep them in a shower caddy or plastic basket and remember to place them back after use.
- Store valuables in a safe box. To prevent losing valuables, such as jewelry, important paperwork, heirlooms, etc. it’s essential that you store all of the above in a safe box while moving.
- Create an inventory list for each room. When labeling each box, write down in the moving binder, the contents of all the boxes and keep an inventory. This will really help you confirm that you haven’t lost anything in the move.
- Finally, relax. After everything is said and done with your move, it’s essential to take a step back and destress yourself. Take time to breathe and clear your mind.
Need help with your move? Call Sally Johnston at 504-376-4114 and let Clutter Clearer come to the rescue! Sally will give you a free estimate and show you how easy it can be to move out of your old location and to make your new location clutter-free.